The Coldry Process offers some unique features, with the end product in turn having some unique attributes. In summary, these are:
- Uses low grade waste heat, lowering energy costs and reducing the CO2 footprint
- Is Simple & Mechanical, providing high reliability and easier maintenance
- Is Low Temperature and Low Pressure, reducing energy consumption and extending equipment life
- Is Modular, Immediately deployable, and consists of prefabricated components for easier construction in remote installations
- Provides enhanced Power Station efficiencies through reduced evaporation losses
- Provides ‘Class A’ quality water as a by-product
- Exponentially enhanced net energy content increased up to 285% for 60% moisture Victorian La Trobe Valley Lignite
- The self-ignition tendencies of typical Lignite is greatly reduced to that of normal Black Coals
- Accumulation of up to 90% less Ash than typical black coal, increasing operational efficiencies and reducing removal costs
- Immediately deployable in existing brown coal boilers (10% to 20% of total energy mix), Decreasing coal requirements (7% to 14%), Reducing emissions (6% to 11%) and Reducing ash accumulation (2% to 4%)
ECT’s Coldry technology is a scalable, immediately deployable, cost-effective commercial brown coal dewatering solution that produces a storable, transportable, energy rich fuel pellet ideal for the lucrative thermal coal market, as well as providing an ideal feedstock for Coal to Liquids and Gasification systems.
Carbon Emission Reduction
Existing brown coal power stations that consume Coldry pellets immediately gain benefits without the need of significant modifications to plant infrastructure including:
- Emissions savings – 5% to 15% CO2 reduction
- Reduced ash costs
- Access to increased water supply
These factors also drive the business case for inefficient brown coal fired power stations to install black coal fired technologies with their ensuing efficiency and financial benefits, while achieving CO2 reductions of more than 30%.
- The Coldry Process represents high gains in coal drying and it is extremely well suited to taking high moisture feed stocks of around 35-65% moisture to product of around 12%.
- Our patented method of dewatering has now been proven and independently validated on coals from many global sites, including China, India, Indonesia, Germany, Poland, Greece and Australia.
- Coldry is a relatively simple and efficient mechanical process that alters the physical properties of the feedstock
- It is not a process that requires costly chemicals to dry coal or has any associated water clean up costs.
- Our process requires waste heat of around 40°C.
- This low heat is sourced via heat exchange from a co-located power station.
Coldry extrudes product under low pressure. Low pressure requires less energy.
- Coldry liberates large volumes of water
- The water recovered from the coal is ready for immediate industrial use without expensive treatment, and becomes potable with minor filtering.
Sensitive to the Environment
Coldry is sensitive to the environment as combustion of this energy rich, low moisture fuel enhances efficiency, and reduces CO2 emissions and other environmental damage.
Our Coldry plant is flexible and well suited for domestic markets (rapid-dry product) and export markets (high quality product).
- The Coldry plant is modular and, hence scalable
- All sections of the plant are pre-fabricated off-site, then transported in normal shipping containers and assembled.
- Making it perfect for deployment at remote mine mouth locations, where there are no 5 lane freeways to bring in oversized equipment.
Our plant creates a black coal equivalent product that is cost effective and greatly increases the value of the lignite feedstock in the face of rising black coal demand and pricing.
Power Station Integration Synergies
- Our design integrates with power stations and delivers synergies.
- The recovered water can be fed to the power stations’ cooling circuits, reducing the need to take water from local rivers and other sources.